Tuesday, August 08, 2006

I woke up in the middle of the night last night, and dismissed it as the natural waking period of sleep.

I heard the voices of men speaking to each other, from nowhere in particular. The voices seemed strangely familiar. Guessing they came from some neighbours, and they were the reason I woke from my slumber, I tried to return to the land of candy and bunnies.

Then a dull orange blob floated across my ceiling. It changed shape from birds to the face of Freddie Mercury.

I didn't scream, but attempted to sit up and investigate what the amorphous thing was. Failed that. It felt like there was some force pushing down onto my chest. Naturally, having read my share of ghost stories, I tried to scream there, but for some reason my mouth didn't listen to me. I can't remember anything else, except dire panic.

Scary stuff. Must be the ghosts from hell.

It's actually a medical anomaly called hypnogogia, where a person undergoes REM-like brain behaviour but takes in visual signals at the same time. Meaning, I was dreaming with my eyes open, and being asleep, my limbs wouldn't respond to commands. Well despite this scientific explanation, it's still gonna be a rough night tonight.

No comments: