Monday, April 17, 2006

Me and my Chum...ps

Today the chapel speaker mentioned the phrase carpe diem. He said that it was'nt a good thing. Did'nt explain why. I dunno why, but alot of religous speakers(from different beliefs) say things without explaining them completely. Guess its up to one whether to believe or not.


I despise the type of friendship that exists in the real world today. Everywhere I go, I see the camaraderie that would drive people to sacrifice for one another, but on the silver screen. Take for example the trio of companions in Harry Potter. Then there's the Fellowship of the Ring, and the hilarious animals of Ice Age. The type where friends would go through thick and thin for each other are those who I yearn for.

Unfortunately, I have'nt found them yet, or they simply dont exist in this world. Maybe its human nature to backstab when the opportunity arises. Maybe its burned into our genes to think of ourselves first, all in the name of survival. Heh.

These days, friendship is all about dirty jokes and meaningless insults thrown at each other. There's never the kind encouragement that would come from a happy and platonic one. You never see a guy giving his friend a pat on his back for a job well done. It's always, 'Oh, but you screwed up here. You screwed up there too.' You also never hear a person consoling a crying buddy, who's just missed the passing grade by a mark. Instead there is laughing and cutting remarks. A lot of jokes have another person, with feelings, at the butt of it. I have been the object of some not-so-nice words before, and it's especially painful when it comes from a person you've known since you learned to talk.

But I still have a life ahead of me, maybe I will yet find a comrade who will help me through the sufferings of life. Carpe diem I guess.

No comments: