Monday, August 04, 2008

The fates move in mysterious ways. Amil's shifting morals move in ways mysteriouser.

Thrice today I was given the opportunity to extricate myself from suffering. It would have required a mere word to take leave early and escape punishment. Instead I chose to 'do the right thing'. The only reward got was ennui and a wasted evening, and no one benefited from it. Sometimes the tragedy is being too virtuous.

Sometimes I wonder which is more painful. Doing wrong, getting punished for it, and living with the guilt, or doing the right thing, getting punished for it anyway and then realising that if if you had taken the dark side you would have escaped scott-free.

I've had a taste of both recently. The latter is more bitter. Definitely. But then again it's me.

No comments: